Whether you love or hate politics, there’s one thing that we can all agree on. Members of the political sector sure do know how to disseminate a message. As a small business owner, you’d surely love to have that kind of reach and influence, but most simply can’t figure out where to start. So, if your next marketing initiative to be as effective as a political campaign, keep the following points in mind.
- Politicians have a very clear message in mind, and they take every opportunity to share those thoughts and opinions with anyone who will listen. There’s no reason to be shy about it!
- Politicians know their audience. They are the masters of surveys and polls, which is the oldest and one of the most effective means of social listening we have at our disposal. So, take the time to listen to your current and future customers, and respond to their needs.
- Politicians engage with the people that support them. They (or their support staff) respond to questions and comments, both in-person and online. They share stories from their community. They reply to the messages you send. These are all very important tactics that should be used by every modern business.
- Politicians are passionate. Say what you will about the parties, but even if you do not agree with what they are saying, it’s a fact that politicians speak on matters that are genuinely important to them. As a small business owner, you should strive for a similar kind of authenticity.
- They put their money where it counts. The political sector is not afraid to spend money on advertising. Their presence on social media is also very impressive. Can you think of another industry that boasts 100% participation on social media and other digital formats? Don’t be afraid to spend money on expert digital marketing. It’s absolutely worth the investment.
One of the most important things that you can do for your business is to bring experts in when you need them. That’s especially true where your business marketing is concerned because it affects your brand’s image and overall reputation. You hire an accountant to do your accounting. You hire an attorney to handle your legal affairs. Marketing is a similar business service that requires a specific level of expertise.